Sunday, January 8, 2012

Skaven Project - Second Unit and Mortar - Project time 6hr

By some miracle (maybe because the bulk of my figures hasn't arrived?!?) I'm managing to stay on top of this Skaven project having put six hours in this week - including today - and completed two units and a mortar to a standard that is to me very acceptable.

Picking up where I left off on the last update, these were the minis after the first two stages of leather brown for the wood - shields, banner pole and weapon shafts - and a darker brown for the skins
This was followed by plague green for about half the linen - I opted to do more tops yellowish with this unit as the first one had more blue tops to break it up a bit.
 Next I did all the silver metal followed by all the bronze metal and added bright colors randomly but sparsely.
 Finally the blue was added to the cloths, the models were individually touched up and the pink around the mouths was painted on thick
 At this stage they look surprisingly clean for a Skaven set. We must remedy this in the next stage!
A quick wash and they're starting to look much more the part. Their beady, evil little red eyes are all carefully painted in (I think out of 40 there have been 3 I've had to redo the eyes on...not bad!) and they're splattered with what I believe to be LOGICAL blood splatters (the musician for example has blood on the left reverse side of his drum stick and blood over his lips and teeth drooling down onto the drum as I assume that, with both hands occupied, if faced with an enemy up-close-and-personal he'd most likely bash him across the face outward then go for a bite to the throat before resuming his infernal chanting...)
 The unit I finished yesterday was also given a treatment of battle-bloodiness which I've tried to, truth be told, keep as subtle as possible across the units while not allowing them to look "fresh out of the factory"
 That's 40 pairs of beady eyes staring at their next slave!
 A close up of the first unit
 A not-so-good close up of the second unit - the one painted today
One last shot post-varnish....
 A close up of the second unit's banner
 Lastly after all was said and done I came back to finish the mortar which was done in about half an hour from undercoating to varnish, which bids quite well considering the IMMENSE amount of troops I'm due in a month or so....
All in all a very productive week and I hope to keep it up, what with going back to study in February and work getting more and more manic as we catch up from last year's foul weather. But hey, such is grown up life I'm told....and in less than three weeks I exit the Roaring 20s to make my into the Dirty Thirties!
VEVVY Exciting times, for me at least...a time of ponderance....reflection, introspection....nha, I'm going to go paintball and painting!
LOL!
Thanks for stopping by

2 comments:

  1. You managed to paint 20 skaven in 4 hours, I managed to spray paint my hand.......I wonder which of us is the better hobbyist! PS couldn't resist and picked up that pack of US infantry :)

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me laugh out loud actually!
    We must line up another Warmaster soon, what do you say?
    Great having you here the other day, man I was sooo full!
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. All comments are moderated. Anything offensive will be removed, as will spam. otherwise, fire at will!